Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hello School, Hello Work, Hello Reality

I've been back in San Marcos for 3 days now. It was really weird driving back, I forgot how long of a drive it was (especially when it's raining...I-10 through Houston in the rain is not fun). I thought I would do a lot of a reflecting and thinking on that drive since it's 4.5 hours but I just enjoyed rocking out to my iPod and the good radio stations I could find.

Getting back to the apartment was weird because Ashton was studying for a final and Rachel was gone, so I was just left to unpack. Every few minutes Ashton and I would take a break and talk about different things that have been going on and the new apartment issues (still can't move in until August 9).
TIP* if you left for a month and closed your vents in your room...don't forget to open them before you try and sleep in your room, it gets hot if you don't.

So I decided that I had by Sunday night to complete my cover letters for my internship applications and will send them out Monday morning before my class at noon. Mission accomplished...I wrote about 9 or 10 cover letters on Saturday while my roommates were enjoying Six Flags.

Here is a break down of the order I need to accomplish things:
1) Complete cover letters and submit internship applications by Monday, July 12

2) Start summer 2 and work again

3) Start looking for a new part-time job. (Hopefully I have time to get applications in the morning before my class since I work in the afternoon)

4) Get boxes for moving

5) Start packing for stuff to go into storage...for a week while I'm in a hotel

Hopefully I will be able to add into this list "Prepare for internship interview." I know I'm cutting it really close since fall semester starts in a little over a month. I need this internship for credit so I will only have to be on campus for three classes instead of four. So my last semester might seem like it's going to be easy but I'll be taking three classes, working at least 20 hours a week and interning about 15 to 20 hours a week if all goes according to plan.

Speaking of graduation, while I was hiking up to Machu Picchu 2 weeks ago today (wow that's crazy to think about...a week ago I was just now getting back to the U.S). As I was hiking with Sierra I made a decision that has taken a huge weight off my shoulders...no graduate school for me, at least not this spring. There is no way I could study for the GRE and have my application done by the October deadline for spring with everything I need to do.

I don't think my heart is all the way in to the idea of grad school; school is safe and I can't be safe forever so why not take the risk of looking for a job like every other college grad (I think this new take a risk idea came from my study abroad, so thank you ISA for making me stop being safe). I think it's for the best. I know I want to go to grad school just not what for yet. And I think it will be good to take a semester away from school after graduation to work and get everything in order. Hopefully by next spring I'll have an idea about what I want to go to grad school for before I take the GRE and get even further into debt.

Well it's back to the Texas State campus tomorrow. The start of my last month working at the University Honors Program, I've worked here for 2 years and they have become my family here in San Marcos...it'll be hard to leave and start something new. It's also the start of my last six months at Texas State, it will be bittersweet for sure. Hope I'm ready for the roller coaster that the next few months will bring :)

158 days until graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment