Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day of Goodbyes, Airports and Delays

So yesterday was my last full day in Peru. Emmi and I some how managed to get the entire program together at Senor Limon for lunch Friday. It was great to see everyone one last time and have some good cebiche again.

It didn't really hit me that I was leaving or that I was sad about leaving until we were all outside saying goodbye to each other. I'm really going to miss all the ISA kids, we've all been through this crazy, intense but AMAZING 5 weeks together. It's something that connects all of us for the rest of our lives.

Last night Emmi and I gave our host parents a picture of us with them. And in there entire house it is the only picture frame out. I think it's really hard to get pictures of Alejandra and Hector (Hector ran upstairs when Alejandra took out her camera to take pictures with us). Afterward I went straight to bed. Vicki woke me up at 3:05 this morning because I had to be at ISA by 3:30. I said bye to Emmi; it was really sad leaving her behind at the house, we did so much together over the past 5 weeks! I'm really going to miss her and we will see each other again because it would just be weird to not talk or see her sometime. Skype is a great invention!

So once we got to the airport Courtney and I had to wait in line for American Airlines for almost an hour then go straight through security and to our gate. We had enough time to grab a snack, some gum and me a book to read (Chelsea Handler's Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea). Once we got to Miami I checked my phone and received my first text messages in 5 weeks, they were not what I was expecting. Before I left Texas in May I set up notifications for my flights to my phone. That was a smart idea. My 2:55 flight to Houston was canceled because something was wrong with the plane. My mom luckily got a call while I was in the air and was able to change my flight to go to Dallas then Lake Charles, which would have been amazingly awesome if I made it there. We made it through immigration fairly quickly but then came trying to get our luggage. It took them about 30 minutes to get our luggage out of the plane, here starts my trouble. I still had to go to rebooking and get my luggage rechecked; I missed checking into my new flight by 2 minutes. The American Airline agent said she could have tried to get me on it but she didn't think my luggage would make it.

So no more flights to Lake Charles were available and I even looked into flights to Austin just in case Haley could get me and I could at least go to my apartment in San Marcos and somehow make it down to Orange to get my car. Nothing was working all the flights to Dallas and Houston at a decent time had crazy connections that weren't worth it. So I have now been sitting in the Miami airport for 3 hours and my direct flight to Houston doesn't leave until 10:30pm. I'll be in Houston by midnight and Orange by 2am...my experiences with flying back to Texas have always been interesting.

Now I have to figure out something to occupy my time and figure out a cheaper way to use wireless (Skype wi-fi is useful but expensive) and the TV at the gate I'm at is on CNN talking about the oil spill and Michael Jackson...looks like it was a good idea to buy that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment