Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Shopping for Peru, the Amazon, and my Host Family

I don't think I have been this productive since school ended last week. Here is a break down of what I did today: work 8 to 12:30, lunch with Jessa (a coworker), San Marcos Municipal Court (don't worry just turning in defensive driving certificate), Jiffy Lube to have my cars oil changed and Target (where I spent way to much money). Proud to say I completed these tasks by 3:30 today!

At Target I think I managed to get everything I need for my trip, including a flashlight and a small can of OFF for the Amazon! After I posted my entry yesterday our itinerary for the Amazon excursion was sent out. We will fly from Lima to Iquitos and then to the town Nauta. From there we take a boat down the Ucayali and Maranon River, the start of the Amazon River. Like I said in a previous we are staying at the Pacaya Samiria Lodge. There we have the chance to go hiking through the rainforest, observe night animals and the "pink" dolphins. At the Japon and Plantano lakes we have the chance to go canoeing, bird watching or go piranha fishing! I am so excited right now it's hard to focus on things!



Last week my host family assignment came in. My host parents are Maria and Maciel Paz, they are both lawyers. They have two children who are students, Maria and Hector born in 1990 and 1992. They also have a maid named Elisabeth she is 21, my age. According to the papers they live in the Lince district of Lima, I looked at a Google map and they aren't that far from the Pacific Ocean! And it's 10 minute walking distance from my University, five by bus. It seems like they have a large house, it says they have five bathrooms but it says three living areas, not sure if that is the same as our bedrooms or living rooms. I'll be sure to update y'all on that one as soon as I get home. They seem like they'll be really nice people, they open their home like this because they want their children to learn about other customs and ideas.

I need to bring a gift for my host family. I was going to get a Tx State magnet for them but I want to bring something as too. If you have any suggestions let me know.


This is a pink dolphin, hopefully I can get my own picture! There is an Amazon River Folklore story that goes with the pink dolphins. I found the story on Wikipedia, I'm sure there is more details if you Google it and look. It's very interesting.

I plan on doing some major laundry and packing tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment